Find your home with a local expert.

Salesperson Course


The first step in the licensing process is to take the NYS Salesperson 75 Hour Qualifying Course. The Greater Syracuse Association of REALTORS (GSAR) offers the qualifying course several times per year.

GSAR Location: 5958 E. Taft Rd., North Syracuse, NY 13212


Next course: Summer 2019 - July 20 through Aug. 5

Registration deadline: July 15, 2019
Click on the link at the bottom of this page for a two-page brochure with the class dates and times, and a registration form.



 A licensing candidate may take the course final examination only upon satisfactory completion of the attendance requirements: students must be in attendance for 90% of the course. Any student absent for more than 7.5 hours will not be eligible to sit for the final exam. An exam score of 70% must be achieved in order to successfully complete the course. A make up exam is available in the event the course exam is not passed. Successful completion of both attendance and exam requirements entitles the licensing candidate to sit for the New York State licensing examination.

Salesperson’s Course Topics:

  • License Law & Regulations
  • The Law of Agency
  • Legal Issues
  • The Contract of Sales and Leases
  • Real Estate Finance
  • Land Use Regulations
  • Construction and Environmental Issues
  • Valuation Process and Pricing Properties
  • Human Rights and Fair Housing
  • Real Estate Mathematics
  • Municipal Agencies
  • Property Insurance
  • Taxes and Assessments
  • Condominiums and Cooperatives
  • Commercial and Investment Properties
  • Income Tax Issues in Real Estate Transactions
  • Mortgage Brokerage
  • Property Management
  • Licensee Safety

NYS Requirements for Licensing as a SALESPERSON are:

  • Be at least 18 years of age
  • Be a United States citizen or be a legal, permanent resident
  • Have no felony convictions (contact NY Department of State for clarification)
  • Complete the 75-hour licensing course (and pass the final course exam)
  • Pass the NYS Department of State salesperson licensing exam ($15)
  • Have a sponsoring New York State broker (you do NOT need a sponsoring broker to take the 75 Hour Course or the exams. See FAQs below)
  • Apply for a salesperson license ($55 for two years)

On July 1, 2008, the Salesperson and Broker licensing requirements changed. Click here for more information.

If you have any questions regarding the Salesperson Course please contact Susan at 315.457.5979 x 224 or

To contact the New York State Department of State with licensing questions, call 518-474-4429.


What happens if I take the course but am not ready to apply for my license? Your 75 hour course completion certificate is good for eight years. If you are not ready to apply for your license at the end of the course, you must hold on to your certificates until you are ready. Remember the NYS exam results are good for two years.

I had a license many years ago but let it lapse. Do I have to go through the licensing procedure again? If you took the 45 hour licensing course before July 1, 2008, this certificate is still valid. If your license expired more than two years ago, you will have to take the NYS exam again before you can renew your license. If your license expired less than two years ago, you only need to compete the 22 1/2 hours of continuing education before you renew your license. In either case, your broker must sign the renewal form.

If I miss a portion of the Qualifying Course what happens? According to the New York Department of State, you must complete 90% of the class time in order to pass the course. In other words, if you miss more than 7.5 hours of the entire class, you will automatically fail.

Who needs a license? According to Article 12-A of the Real Property Law,“anyone who negotiates any form of real estate transaction for another and for compensation of any kind in the State of New York” needs a license.

What is the difference between a broker and a salesperson? A broker is the owner or corporate officer of the firm. The broker sponsors, trains, and supervises all the real estate activities of the agents for which he/she is responsible. A salesperson works for and under the direction of the sponsoring broker.

Do I need a sponsoring broker to take the course? No, many people take the course for personal reasons and have no intention of getting a license. You also do not need a sponsoring broker to take the State exam. You do need a sponsoring broker at time of license application.


Please read the Frequently Asked Questions (above) prior to registering


Brochure - Summer 2019 Salesperson Course 

 GSAR also offers an on-line pre-licensing course. Click here for more information.